Wednesday 29 February 2012

[REVIEW] Timeless by Alexandra Monir

Published: January 2011
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Age Group: Young Adult - Historical
Series: Timeless #1
When tragedy strikes Michele Windsor’s world, she is forced to uproot her life and move across the country to New York City, to live with the wealthy, aristocratic grandparents she’s never met. In their old Fifth Avenue mansion filled with a century’s worth of family secrets, Michele discovers a diary that hurtles her back in time to the year 1910. There, in the midst of the glamorous Gilded Age, Michele meets the young man with striking blue eyes who has haunted her dreams all her life – a man she always wished was real, but never imagined could actually exist. And she finds herself falling for him, into an otherworldly, time-crossed romance.
Michele is soon leading a double life, struggling to balance her contemporary high school world with her escapes into the past. But when she stumbles upon a terrible discovery, she is propelled on a race through history to save the boy she loves – a quest that will determine the fate of both of their lives. (From Goodreads)

The first time i looked at this book, I convinced myself to try it, although I thought it didn't sound very good. 20 pages in and I was about to stop reading it but I persevered and the result was...shock, with a little bit of tears and anticipation for the next book. 

Timeless is probably the most romantic book i have read this year (so far) which says alot since I usually only read books that involve some form of romance. 

The characters in this book express their feelings so deeply that at some times, I feel words couldn't even describe their emotions. I do admit that at some times the author's descriptions, mainly objects, left me confused. I had to read them over before I had any sense of what she was saying. 

The story follows Michele and her romantic, heartbreaking journey through the past. Michele is a time travelor. She has a special skeleton key that can transport her back to the past, usually to one of her ancestors. There she meets a boy and essentially sets the entire story. 

About two thirds of the book is spent in the past which is alot considering the book is only about 250 pages. 

The research that went in to this novel is also astounding. At the end of the novel, there is a little section briefly explaining the historical facts mentioned in the story. After reading them, I'm now very curious about New York (where the story takes place) around the 1900's and the whole aristocratic lives then. I also remembering crying at some point while reading Timeless. 

The climax of the story was really a climax, unlike other books. I won't tell you what happened because that would ruin the story but i will tell you that the "to be continued" ending is a happy one so no matter how heartbroken you may feel, know that everything will be alright...in the end. 

Timeless truly reveals the love one can feel for another and how hard they would go to stay with their beloved. I would definitely recommend this book for all romance readers, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I absolutely can't wait for the sequel!




5/5!

(originally posted in the TPL Word Out program)

No comments:

Post a Comment