Wednesday 9 April 2014

[REVIEW] Broken and Screwed by Tijan

Broken and Screwed by Tijan
Published:
Feb 2013
Age Group: New Adult
Series: BS #1
I've always enjoyed Tijan's books and I'm glad that Broken and Screwed lived up to my expectations.

The Broken and Screwed follows the main character Alex and Jesse. Two childhood friends who were as close as siblings, who are dealing with Alex's brothers death. Alex was a party girl after her brother's death she becomes withdrawn and depressed. Side note: nothing to do with the story but I always found it peculiar that a typical high school girl is a popular party girl. I don't remember ever being that socially active in high school... Am I the only one who feels that way? Perhaps. I'm strange like that. 

Anyway Alex's depressed and Jesse acts like the complete opposite. At the start Jesse was popular already, being the overly hot guy in school, but after his best friend-basically-brother's death he becomes even more popular and even more socially involved. The basic plot of the story is how Jesse and Alex try to find a way to cope with the death and their feelings for each other. I found it quite interesting how both Alex and Jesse are so opposite and so attracted to each other. As they always say, opposites attract. 

I like how the story starts out, it hooks you in and wants to make you know more about the story while also hitting you hard with action and intense emotions. 

There's not much to say about this story to be honest. In my opinion, it's a story that will either hit you hard psychologically or go over your head. The story deals with some topics that some people will relate to much more than others will. I tried to understand the situation through the character's feelings but it's very hard to do so never really experiencing anything like it. I think Tijan does a good job having the story told consistently by the characters throughout. I feel like it would be really easy to become overwhelmed with the emotions of the situations that could result in making a character act out of their personality but each of the characters always acts appropriately. Alex is a very withdrawn person who closes herself off so much that she finds it very hard to experience any emotion and is often indifferent to events. Whereas Jesse is a person who is quick to explode and react which he does often. Each of the characters has a distinct personality and never do anything to contradict it which I greatly appreciate.

There is a lot of common features from both this series and Tijan's Fallen Crest series. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or just a writing style that Tijan often employs in the books. I'm interested to see how the sequel will turn out.
3.5 - 4 cups of tea
MEH


If you like this check these other tea loving books out:

No comments:

Post a Comment