Wednesday 21 March 2012

[REVIEW] Awake at Dawn by C.C. Hunter

Published: October 2011
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Age Group: Young Adult
Series: Shadow Falls #2
Now that she’s settled in at Shadow Falls Camp, Kylie Galen’s determined to discover the extent of her supernatural abilities. But with a ghost insisting someone Kylie loves is about die, a rogue vampire on a murdering rampage, and her sixth sense telling her someone is watching her, Kylie’s quest for answers is quickly put on hold.

To make matters worse, just when she’s about to give her heart to Derek, a half-fairy, he starts pulling away. When Lucas, a werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past, returns, Kylie’s feels more conflicted than ever. Her weekend with her mom should have been the just the break Kylie needs, but it turns out to be her breaking point. Someone from the dark side of the supernatural world has plans for Kylie--and it'll take all her resources to get back to Shadow Falls alive...(From Goodreads)

So I'm starting to believe that C.C. Hunter likes to follow a template when writing her books.

This book was probably no different than it's prequel.  Kylie faces the exact same problems.  Who am I? Which guy do i choose? Why do my parents suck? la la la.  And then the very uneventful ending. That's essentially the story right there.

Ok so now to talk about the positive parts of the book.  Well I guess the only thing that's keeping me through this series is that later on in the series (HOPING) , something absolutely amazing will happen.  Other than that, I guess books dealing with teenage angst are a good break from the usual romantic, supernatural books that I read.

Now what I didn't like about this book.

The story wasn't interesting. It seems C.C. Hunter foreshadows to the climax of the story but even the climax doesn't play a large part in it.  I still feel the plot of this entire story is Kylie figuring out what she is and C.C. Hunter is probably running out of ideas because throughout this book, there were many hints as to what she is. First they think she's a vampire, than a werewolf, than a shape shifter, than back to "we have no idea who you are."  Well that's a waste of 200 pages. Seriously.

A big thing that I really don't like about this series (and perhaps the way the author writes her books) is that the sequels are dependent on the fact that you've remembered everything that happened in the first book.  It's been quite a while since I've read the first one and with the impact the first book, Born at Midnight, left me, it isn't that big of a surprise that I didn't remember anything (except for that really bad ending!) so imagine by frustration when I begin reading the sequel and realize that I'm really confused with all the characters and events.  It took me five chapters and a summary  later until I could start to really understand the story. In my opinion, that's just really bad planning. Books aren't released consecutively so it doesn't make sense that they would assume we've remembered or read the previous book before reading this one.

To continue this angry rant, I also don't like how C.C. Hunter wrote the character Holiday. Holiday is suppose to be the head counsellor, the person that helps Kylie transition into a supernatural life and mentors and guides her. Well in this book, I'm not sure if it was present in the previous one or just more prominent in the second book but Holiday didn't seem mature or grown up at all.  The romance issues made sense to me.  A good love problem always makes a story interesting but it is when she talks to Kylie that I didn't get the feeling of a mentor but more of a friend.  In my mind Holiday is Kylie's friend but still a mature adult. I just really can't stand the fact that Holiday acts like a teenager when she clearly isn't.  That really bugged me.

Something else that bugged me was that she still couldn't decide which guy to choose. Ok so you have Derrick, the hot half-fae who absolutely loves you, and lucas, the stupid bad boy werewolf that left you last book. Uh I think it's pretty obvious who you should pick. Well honestly in true teen book fashion, it's usually the bad boy who gets chosen so I guess I shouldn't be complaining but seriously! MAKE UP YOUR MIND! And also, who introduces the love rival or the super b**ch (excuse my language) during the last 100 pages or so?  Seems illogical to me but of course this entire series is illogical to me.

One more thing that bugged me, that I've said over and over, the climax is not interesting.  In this book, a rogue captures Kylie to take her as his wife.  Ok so I would completely understand if this kidnapping was part of a very large scheme that would continue throughout the books. No. It's just a stupid kidnapping which of course she escapes from all within 10 pages.  That's a really bad climax.  On par with her previous one of crazy animals. 

As you can tell, I really don't like this book but I'm going to read it. Cause I'm persistent and I keep hoping that it will get better. Lastly, just to leave on a positive note, the last 100 pages of this book were exciting and engaging (minus the climax).  That seems to be part of the template for C.C. Hunter.  Bore the reader with teenage drama with the first 2/3 of the book then wow them in the last 1/3. 

I wouldn't necessarily not recommend this to readers, especially those that like books about teenage girls and real life situations but I personally don't think it's worth getting hyped about.  It's a good easy read, that's it.



3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment