Tuesday 29 January 2013

[TO THE BOOKSTORE FOR...] January 29, 2012

1. Prodigy by Marie Lu.

This was one of those series that they told you to read after an absolutely amazing series, and you do because you're suffering from withdrawal symptoms because the new book from the absolutely amazing series isn't due to be released for another year. Well the Legend series was recommended for Divergent lovers. Before you start telling me that there is nothing comparable to the Divergent series, I'll tell you that I agree but I was desperate. Very desperate. So I figured why not, let's give this book a try. Well as many other book recommendations, this one fell short...by a lot. I was particularly uninspired when I was done reading, to the point where I didn't even want to write a review, that bad. It didn't remind me of Divergent and to me, it was very amateurish writing. I know I'm bashing the book, and possibly the author completely but hey, at least I'm giving the second one a try...right? I still have hopes for this series, mainly because a lot of people I know rate this very highly. I guess I'm sort of a conformist because I want to fit in and also really like this story but we all have some sort of rebel heart inside us and I guess I might just be rebelling at this point because I'm really not a big fan of this series. But don't take my word for it, read it for yourself. Hey, I mean it made it to the [ TO THE BOOKSTORE FOR...] so at least it has a small place inside of me that says this might just be worth it.
June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

In this highly-anticipated sequel, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action. (From Goodreads)


2. Shadows in the Silence by Courtney Allison Moulton

This is the final book in the Angelfire trilogy. A trilogy is a nice number of books but for this series, I guess I would have liked to see one more book. It was too fast paced, but anyway, getting off topic. I've reviewed the first two books in the series: Angelfire and Wings of the Wicked. I enjoyed the first one, it was a good start, but the second one was...not as good shall we say. I blame it on being the second book in a trilogy which is usually never as good as the first since it's an information dump, which means I have mixed feelings for the this book, the third and final one in the series. I still have high hopes if it'll end well.  If it's one thing Courtney Allison Moulton is really good at doing it's writing intense cliffhangers and endings. So hopefully she does this one justice.


Your strength in heart and hand will fall. . . .
Ellie knows that the darkest moments are still to come, and she has everything to fight for:

She must fight for Will.
The demonic have resorted to their cruelest weapons to put Will in mortal danger, and Ellie makes an unlikely alliance to save him and to stop Lilith and Sammael, who seek to drown the world in blood and tear a hole into Heaven.

She must fight for humanity.
As the armies of Hell rise and gather for the looming End of Days, Ellie and her band of allies travel to the world’s darkest and most ancient regions in her quest to come into her full glory as the archangel Gabriel.

And Ellie must save herself.
Her humanity withers beneath the weight of her cold archangel power, but Ellie must hold tight to who she is and who she loves as she prepares for the ultimate battle for Heaven and Earth.

In this final installment in the Angelfire trilogy, Courtney Allison Moulton brings her dark world of epic battles and blistering romance to a blazing bright conclusion. (From Goodreads)
 
That's all for this week's releases that I'm interested in. Look forward to a review for the Maze Runner by James Dashner that I'll be posting this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment