Sunday 22 April 2012

[REVIEW] Fifty Shades Darker by E L James

Published: September 2011/April 2012
Publisher: The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House/
Vintage Canada
Age Group: Adult
Series: Fifty Shades #2
Daunted by the singular sexual tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house.

But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven and demanding Fifty Shades.

While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront the anger and envy of the women who came before her, and make the most important decision of her life. (From Goodreads)


NOTE: THIS IS ADULT FICTION, i.e. for MATURE audiences.  It's best not to read this if you're not an adult. Read at your own discretion

This trilogy is probably my new favourite romance.  Of course a great deal of the story is the relationship between Christian and Ana and their, ahem, vigorous love. 

I will admit I didn't fully finish reading the first book before reading this but I was fine.  It was confusing a little bit but it made sense the more I read. 

Christian is probably the ideal man for every women. Think Twilight's Edward Cullen but an adult version.  Then add a troubled past and a very controlling man and that's Christian.  Christian's rich, powerful, handsome and practically AMAZING!!! (if you can't tell, I'm definitely a Christian lover)

Ana on the other hand is supposedly like Bella but I see little to no relation between them.  The fifty shades trilogy started out as an adult twilight fan fiction so I was thoroughly surprised when I kept reading and Ana's personality became more apparent.  In all honesty, this trilogy is much better than Twilight, the only problem is that it's targeted for more mature audiences.

Throughout the book Christian treats Ana like a princess. Sigh, who wouldn't want to be treated like a princess! You can tell he absolutely loves Ana and Ana loves him back. 

I often complain about the fact that romances happen to quickly in stories. Even though this story was probably the exact same thing, it didn't feel like it when I read it.  It felt normal and just right that they would fall in love so quickly. Honestly I didn't even think about it until I started writing this review.

NOTE: When I heard this song on my i-pod, I immediately thought of Christian and Ana.
If anyone`s wondering, the song`s "Smile" by Uncle Kracker.  Although the song`s  little bit more cheerful than the actual book, in my opinion, I still think it fits.
There's a lot of BDSM (think bondage and s&m) but I don't think it takes away from the romance at all. The romance and the struggles they encounter is the main plot.   They also do a lot of, as Christian calls it, "vanilla love."  Oh Fifty, haunting the dreams of so many. Ana seems to be playing along more in this book than from what I've read of the first book. She's getting stronger and a little bit more demanding.. Oh well, Fifty needs to loosen up (which he does).

Whether this story was meant to be written as a fan fiction to begin with, it's still very well written. I'm not sure how much they edited but I honestly couldn't put the book down until I finished reading it, which I've found recently to be very rare. Usually the beginning of a book will be amazing and then I slow down near the end or vice versa. I think the last time this happened to me was when I read Divergent by Veronica Roth, which was back to late last year, so it's been a while.

This book reminds me of the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong, not because they`re alike but because they seem to be complete opposites of each other.  Kelley Armstrong`s series has the main focus on the struggles and the events of the story as oppose to the love, Fifty Shades has the love as the main focus and the events as the sub plots. The complete opposite. I love both these books so I`m not complaining, just thought it was intersting.

On  a last note. I found another song, guess I'm too much of a romantic
The song's "Wanna be Loved" by Scotty James. ♥ describes them so well!

If you love romance, you'll definitely love this book.  It's really really (really!) good. Give it a try!
BUY

No comments:

Post a Comment