Monday 16 April 2012

[REVIEW] Reckoning by Lili St. Crow

Published: November 2011
Publisher: Razorbill
Age Group: Young Adult
Series: Strange Angels #5 [end]
Nobody expected Dru Anderson to survive this long. Not Graves. Not Christophe. Not even Dru. She's battled killer zombies, jealous djamphirs, and bloodthirsty suckers straight out of her worst nightmares. But now that Dru has bloomed into a full-fledged svetocha - rare, beautiful, and toxic to all vampires - the worst is yet to come.

Because getting out alive is going to cost more than she's ever imagined. And in the end, is survival really worth the sacrifice?

DRU ANDERSON'S NOT AFRAID OF THE DARK.
BUT SHE SHOULD BE (From Goodreads)


Reckoning was...not horrible but different from what I expected.  First of all, the majority of the story takes place with Dru on the run.  Personally I found the drama in the Schola to be very funny and intersting so imagine my dissapointment when I realized that they wouldn't be going back.

Also, I appreciate the action and excitement I got when I read about Dru running but there wasn't really anything else but that.  In all honesty, she could have stayed captured in the fourth book and still come up with the same ending. So in reality, There could have really been four books in the series as oppose to five.  I guess five makes it more spaced out and there's more room to write about events but I just found it unecessary.

Dru is a girl who means buisness and every book she kicks butt.  Really. That's why I like her, because she's different from other heroines. I find her very similar to Rose from the Vampire Academy series.  The only bad thing about Dru I would have to say is her indecisiveness in regards to love.  I find both of these characters have this problem. Although Dru is really good at adapting and fighting bad guys, she's stuck in the teenage drama of which guy do I choose. That might be what makes her relatable because her fighting vampires is not normal at all but because she suffers from all the teenage angst most common in teenagers, we can relate to her.

Lastly, the ending is horrible.  Another book in the dissapointing ending pile. I was expecting much more and I sort of felt like the ending was left too open...like anything could happen. She could be with Christophe but Graves could return. Or she could live a happy life in the Schola or another evil vampire could come to life and threaten her again... It was sort of ambigious to me and I hate that.

So give it a try, hopefully you won't be as dissapointed as I was and if you like this series, definitely give the Vampire Academy series a try too!

Enjoy!
MEH

No comments:

Post a Comment